Santa Eulalia Cathedral
The Cathedral of Santa Cruz and Santa Eulalia (which is also known as Seo, o Seu in Catalan) is Barcelona's Gothic Cathedral and the seat of the Archbishop of Barcelona. The Cathedral started out, in its earliest form, as an early Christian basilica (before the 5th Century), which was later replaced by a church in the Visigoth period. Finally, it became an old Romanesque cathedral until it was destroyed by the Moors in the year 925. The remains of the basilica can be found in the Museum of City History (el Museo de Historia de la Ciudad). By 1046, the bishop Guislabert had began to build a new headquarters. It is assumed to have occupied part of the Gothic building, while preserving some of the original Romanesque features.
The present Cathedral
Work began on the present Cathedral in 1298 and construction continued until the 15th century. Construction was slow and gradual: the crypt dedicated to Saint Eul├ália and the choir date back to the end of the 14th century; the cloister is from the 15th century; the organ and the choir stalls, from the 16th century, and the facade remained unfinished until the early twentieth century.
Curiously, the tradition of the "Dancing Egg" is maintained on the day of Corpus Christi in one of the Cathedral's Gothic cloisters. This tradition (known as L'ou com balla in Catalan) involves positioning an egg over a jet from a fountain so it starts turning without falling.
The cloister also contains a pond with thirteen white geese. There are always thirteen geese as, according to tradition and legend, Saint Eulalia was thirteen years old when she was martyred.